Thursday 17 November 2016

Exploring Peru solo

How I spent 8 days in Peru

 


I had wanted to visit Peru for some time but for various reasons I was unable to do it until May this year. Air Canada had a great seat sale for non-stop flights to Lima, May is the start of the dry season in Peru but not quite peak tourist season yet, and I could go away for eight days. The stars aligned so I took the opportunity to build my own trip right away. I knew the eight days would not be enough to cover many sights but my motto is “seize the day” and make the most of it.

Based on my research and my own interests, I decided on the following rough itinerary:
  • Overnight flight Toronto to Lima then Lima to Cusco
  • 3 days in Cusco
  • 2 days in Machu Picchu
  • 1 day in Cusco
  • 2 days in Lima
  • Return flight from Lima to Toronto

I booked my flight plans directly with the airlines:
  • Return flights Toronto-Lima with Air Canada
  • Return flights Lima-Cusco with LAN Airlines

I decided to book my train tickets from Cusco to Machu Picchu and my ticket to visit Machu Picchu after I arrive in Cusco as I wasn’t travelling in peak season.

For accommodation, I booked the following inns and hotels:
  • Hostal El Triunfo in Cusco for the first 3 nights
  • Hotel Pachakuteq in Machu Picchu for 1 night
  • Hostal Inti Wasi in Cusco for 1 night
  • Hotel Los Girasoles in Lima for 1 night

I planned to visit Lima on my way back to Toronto since I was more interested in visiting Cusco, the Sacred Valley, and Machu Picchu than Lima.

For this trip, I packed a carry on suitcase and an empty backpack. The backpack was useful when I travelled between Cusco and Machu Picchu as the train ride had weight limits on luggage. I also bought a small amount of cash in Peruvian soles.

With the flights and hotel bookings done, I went through my travel checklist, and was ready for my trip. Lima here I come!

No comments:

Post a Comment