Sunday 1 April 2018

3 days in dynamic Santiago

Greetings! After enjoying the spectacular sights in the Atacama desert, I flew back to Santiago, the capital of Chile, and spent three full days exploring the city on foot and using local public transit to get around.

Whenever I visit a new city or town, the quickest way for me to get a feel for the place and set my inner compass is to walk and use some of the landmarks as my reference points. Santiago sights spread out a bit so the metro is useful to get from A to B quickly. I was warned to watch my belongings but I did not experience any pickpocket or any harassment during my stay in Chile. I enjoyed my walks and the associated sensory experiences very much.

Stray dogs are common sights in Santiago, as in San Pedro Village. They followed me, sometimes for a few blocks, but were well-behaved. I did not touch or feed them. At first, I was kind of on alert when they approached me but since they were not aggressive, I relaxed and let them go along until they decided to leave.

My discovery walks in Santiago:

On Day 1, I spent the morning walking around on my own. To see a panoramic view of Santiago, I headed to Parque Metropolitano, and rode the funicular up to the top of Cerro San Cristobal (San Cristobal Hill). After enjoying the views, I headed back down the hill and spent time wandering the bohemian streets of Barrio Bellavista where cafe-restaurant workers were setting up tables on the sidewalks and Santiago street art was abundant. Then I crossed the Rio Mapocho (Mapocho river), noticing the love locks along the bridge railings, before entering Parque Forestal (Forestal Park), a leafy park that runs along the river. I really enjoyed this park as it has many big trees, benches, public art, fountains, and it is for pedestrians, joggers, and cyclists only. I exited the park to visit the Museo de Bellas Artes (Museum of Fine Arts). Admission to the museum is free although it cost 100 CLP (coins only) to use a locker for my backpack.

Panoramic view of Santiago, Chile

Santiago, Chile

San Cristobal Hill Funicular

Statue of the Virgin Mary, San Cristobal Hill

Sidewalk tables, Barrio Bellavista

Love locks above Mapocho River

Fruit cups for sale by Forestal Park

Forestal Park, Santiago

Museum of Fine Arts, Santiago, Chile

Statues in Museum of Fine Arts, Santiago

On Day 2, I joined the free Santiago Off-Beat walking tour offered by Tours4tips, the same company that offered the walking tours in San Pedro de Atacama. This tour started from the Museo de Bellas Artes at 10 AM for about 3.5 hours. Carlos, our tour guide, took us to explore the Esmeralda neighbourhood, La Chimba on the other side of the river, Mercado Central (Central Market), and La Vega market, while explaining the various waves of settlers such as Koreans, Peruvians, and Middle Easterners in Santiago. We took a short metro ride to the Santiago General Cemetery where there is a contrast between burial grounds fit for kings and small graves stacked on top of each other. This is also the final resting place of President Salvador Allende Gossens who was ousted in 1973 by a coup when Pinochet took control. The tour ended at Quitapenas Bar and Restaurant with a complimentary local drink called Terremoto (or Earthquake in English). Terremoto drink includes fermented white wine and pineapple ice cream.

La Vega Market roof design

Fish at the market, Santiago

Fruit at the market, Santiago

Fruit at the market, Santiago

Watermelon fruit stand, Santiago

Stacked graves in Santiago General Cemetery

Greek-style mausoleum, Santiago General Cemetery

On Day 3, after lunch, I joined the free Santiago Highlights walking tour, also offered by Tours4tips. This tour started from the Museo de Bellas Artes at 3 PM for about 3.5 hours. Natalia, our tour guide, took us to explore the Bellas Artes neighbourhood where I saw some of Santiago's most symbolic street art. We walked to Plaza de Armas, where the cathedral and old post office are, along the Alameda, and to the presidential palace of La Moneda and the landmark church, Iglesia San Francisco. Again we took a short metro ride and ended our tour at the Centro Cultural Gabriela Mistral GAM. After the tour, at Natalia's recommendation, I stopped for a bowl and a waffled cone of delicious ice cream at Emporio La Rosa ice cream shop and wandered in Lastarria neighbourhood.

Murals by Inti, Bellas Artes, Santiago

Plaza De Armas, Santiago, Chile

Stained glass windows, Santiago Cathedral

Old Post Office, Santiago

La Moneda, Presidential Palace, Santiago

Whale display, Centro Cultural Gabriela Mistral

Gabriela & Violeta, GAM, Santiago

Both Santiago walking tours were very informative. The tour guides spoke perfect English and were passionate about Santiago and Chile. Each tour had about 12 participants. Each covered about 5 km (3 miles). I'd recommend them to visitors to Santiago.

Next week, I'll share my recap and photos of my visit to Veramonte winery, Vina del Mar, and Valparaiso, about an hour from Santiago.

44 comments:

  1. Natalie you see so many interesting places - I love your photos - I'll probably never get there, but it's nice to have a glimpse into what I'm missing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you like my travel photos, Leanne. I tried to limit how many pictures I post on my blog so not to put people to sleep :)

      Delete
    2. Hi Natalie - I just wanted to thank you for linking up with us at #MLSTL and I've shared this on my SM xx

      Delete
    3. Thank you, Leanne, for hosting. I enjoy following along your A to Z Challenge.

      Delete
  2. Hi, Natalie - I was so looking forward to reading this post -- and it did not disappoint in any way. What wonderful experiences and stunning photos. I love how comfortable you are in any land!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your comments, Donna. I really appreciate it as I know you're participating in the A to Z challenge. I always feel some butterflies when I go to a foreign land by myself but my inner voice also tells me "no adventure no gain" so I keep going.

      Delete
  3. The photos and your description show that Santiago would be an interesting place to visit. What caught me the most, however, were the photos from the fruit market. I am craving spring and summer for their fresh fruits and vegetables!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The fresh fruits and vegetables in Santiago's markets were abundant and delicious. Their vibrant colours drew me in, too, Karen. Thank you for stopping by.

      Delete
  4. It is a traveller's delight to read your posts and view your photos Natalie!

    Thank you for linking up for #lifethisweek 14/52. Next week's optional prompt is "Share Your Snaps" an every 5 week prompt in 2018. Denyse.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Denyse, for hosting, and your comment. I appreciate it. Have a great week!

      Delete
  5. You made good use of your time in the capital, Natalie. The sights and photos give a perfect glimpse of Santiago's beauty, and I think doing these walking tours is the best way to see the most important, or interesting, parts of the city.

    Mark and I did a Tours4Tips walking tour in Budapest last spring as well and were pleasantly surprised. Our group had way more than 12 participants, however!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agreed with you, Liesbet, that walking tours are best ways to explore a new city. There were many more than 12 participants to the Santiago tours but they formed several groups of 12, which were more manageable for the tour guides, especially when we hopped on and off the metro. Thank you for dropping by.

      Delete
  6. Hi Natalie! I grew up living next door to a family from Santiago. The parents were actually British and moved there, had their children and then moved to Australia. I loved all of your photos and aren't funiculars wonderful. I've ridden two - one in Quebec and one on the Isle of Capri. Thanks for linking up and sharing at #MLSTL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sue, funiculars are wonderful. I rode one in Valparaiso, too and it dated back to 1902. Thank you for stopping by. I really appreciate it as I know you're quite busy with your A to Z Challenge.

      Delete
  7. I love your photos, Natalie. I think I mentioned before that my brother spent two years in the Santiago area, so I especially loved this stop on your journey. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Christie, for your kind comment. Your brother's connection to Santiago sounds quite special.

      Delete
  8. I've always wanted to visit Santiago after reading Mario Vargas Llosa's The Bad Girl. Your photos are fabulous and make me feel as if I'm there. Visiting form MSTL.
    Http://www.kalpanaawrites.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kalpanaa, for stopping by. Now I'm curious about The Bad Girl book.

      Delete
  9. I enjoy your posts Natalie and I agree walking tours are one of the best ways of seeing a place not to mention earning about the place. Your photos are great too #mlstl

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Debbie, for your kind comment. I hoped to capture some of the local scenes and sensory stimuli (sights, sound, colours, etc.) that I experienced in my photos.

      Delete
  10. That is a place that I would love to visit. Thanks for sharing. #MLSTL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Santiago is dynamic with lots to see and do in and near the city. Thanks, Patrick, for dropping by.

      Delete
  11. Wow! What a adventure! Your photographs are so beautiful! What a stunning place!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Amy, for your compliment. My pleasure to share photos from my adventures.

      Delete
  12. Beautiful pictures this looks like a pretty place to visit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Victoria, for dropping by and your comment.

      Delete
  13. I look forward to your short breaks photos. We also tend to visit markets when we're away & I was fascinated by the stacked graves. #Teamlovinlife

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jo - I was told some of the stacked graves could keep up to twelve people's remains. You must be counting down for your trip. Thank you for stopping by.

      Delete
  14. What great pics. That market is very cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lydia, for your kind words. Santiago Central Market and the adjacent markets were great for browsing and getting something to eat at reasonable prices.

      Delete
  15. Wow - what a huge city! I really enjoyed your photographs, learning a bit about Santiago (I knew nothing!) and hearing about your trip. Thanks Natalie! :-) #TeamLovinLife

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Santiago has 7 million people, Min. I mentally prepared myself for it before arriving. Thank you for stopping by.

      Delete
  16. Exploring a city on foot is such a great experience. You really get to take in all the sights, smells and sounds of the place. Santiago looks very interesting. #TeamLovinLife

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Plus the exercise :) Thanks, Kathy, for dropping by.

      Delete
  17. What wonderful scenes! It looks like a great time visiting a great city.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Betty, for your kind comment. I had a good time exploring Santiago.

      Delete
  18. Beautiful photos, Natalie! So glad you linked them at https://image-in-ing.blogspot.com/2018/09/our-newest-family-member.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sue, for your visit and comment.

      Delete
  19. I think walking tours (self-guided or with local guides) are a great way of exploring a city, especially when traveling solo. I enjoyed your walks. I had no idea Santiago is a very crowded city.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Su-sieee, for your comment. Santiago is a busy cosmopolitan city. I enjoyed my walks to explore Santiago very much.

      Delete
  20. Perfect timing as my son arrives in Santiago at the weekend, I have sent him your recommendation for tours. It is lovely to see the photos as a 21 yr old is not that great at sending his Mum pics! Thanks :)
    Wren x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Wren, for your visit and comment. I'm glad the timing of my post works for you. I hope your son will join the walking tour(s), enjoy Santiago immensely, and send you lots of pictures :)

      Delete
  21. Thank you for the virtual tour, Natalie. It's a city on my bucket list...
    Thank you for participating in the Travel Tuesday meme.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for hosting the Travel Tuesday meme, Nicholas. I hope you get to visit Santiago.

      Delete